|“||Like I said, Ganta... Call me if you're going to play!||”|
—Senji Kiyomasa, to Ganta Igarashi
|Also Known As||Crow
N° 279 Policeman Senji Red Knife Wielder
|Branch of Sin||Crow Claw|
|Manga debut||Chapter 5|
|Anime debut||Episode 3|
Kiyomasa Senji (千地 清正, Senji Kiyomasa) a.k.a Crow is a former Police Officer and one of the major supporting characters in the series. He is also a Deadman previously imprisoned in Deadman Wonderland. He is the first Deadman Ganta encountered. He has trained Ganta and helped him on multiple occasions.
- Anime and Manga Differences
AppearanceSenji is a tall, muscular man with a medium-dark tan. He has short black hair in spikes to the back. He has the letters DSMK tattooed above his right eye, in memory of his former team-mates.
When he was still a police officer, he wore the standard police uniform. In Deadman Wonderland, he wore the regular prisoner uniform. When he was put in G-Ward, he changed his clothes into dark blue pants with a black belt, leather shoes and a black, long coat. He also has two rings with serrated blades built in them to slice open his forearms; he wears these on his thumbs. After his Carnival Corpse match with Ganta, he lost his right eye as part of the Penalty Game and now wears a black eyepatch. While trying to apply for a job he wore a business suit as well as straightening out his messy hair. After his battle with Hagire, Senji has lost most of his right arm, the only remains being from his bicep to his shoulder. After the small timeskip, Senji wore casual clothes and grew a goatee.
He seems to thoroughly enjoy violence, and his favorite phrase is "Dead Center" ("On target" in the Tokyopop translation; "Bang" in the manga scanlations or "Ssslice" in the anime fansubs; ズッパシ, zuppashi in the Japanese original). Despite his wild and battle-hungry attitude, he does have a sense of honor and respects strength and determination (like in the Carnival Copse when Ganta was got back up on his feet to fight, despite the seemingly one-sided match, and by teaching Ganta multiple ways to use his branch of sin in.) He also appears to be against the idea of needless killing, having opted to leave Ganta alone on their first encounter when he made no effort to defend himself against Senji, he also told Ganta to try and understand Shiro's predicament before coming to a decision.
In an ironic twist, Senji becomes flustered and embarrassed when a woman acts immodest. When he first notices Shiro's form fitting body tights, his face becomes red and he gives her his coat telling her to quickly cover up, another time was when Minatsuki flashed her underwear to him. All in all the effect of those instances can sometimes make him fall to the floor.
Eight years before the start of the series, Senji worked as a police officer. After the Great Tokyo Earthquake, he and his colleagues Shindō, Momoi,Kan and his senpai Domon were assigned to Tokyo, in order to restore the peace. At that time, Senji already had his Branch of Sin and used it to defeat the thugs.
A special Anime exclusive episode expands Senji's background story from his days in the police. During one of the chases, Senji corners a thug and starts assaulting him with his Crow Claw. Seeing the thug as nothing more than trash, Senji intends to kill him but is stopped by Domon. Back in the Police Station, Senji gets into an argument with his colleagues that someone told the man he was being followed by the police. The blame is pinned on Senji due to his past of working with street thugs, so he starts a brawl to protect his honor. After taking a walk through a farmers market to cool off, he spots Izuru being chased by the Goreless Peace gang members for stealing their valuables. Senji intervenes and beats up the gang members who swore revenge on him. He then takes Izuru back to Hinata in the orphanage not knowing that Goreless Peace was following him. As Senji returns home, he's intercepted by Keigo Ugachi who tries to get Senji to join his gang, but he refuses. Keigo is infuriated by this and commences an attack on the orphanage, killing Izuru and Hinata as well as the other orphans. Enraged, Senji alongside his comrades storm in Keigo's manor. Domon and his crew start gunning down gang members, while Senji chases Keigo and is eventually caught in his Branch of Sin: Wire Lyre. Senji attempted to get free, only to be caught once again. Domon then arrives to assist Senji, but Keigo traps him as well, wounding him critically in the process. Angered by this, Senji manages to extend his Crow Claw and stabs Keigo through the chest. Keigo tells Senji to finish him off, which Senji is glad to comply with, however Domon interrupts, telling Senji that he cannot kill Keigo as then he'd be no better than him. Senji raises his Crow Claw to bring down on Keigo, but stops at the last second as he notices that Keigo fearfully flinched. Senji passes out, Keigo is arrested and placed in Deadman Wonderland.
Because of the efficiency Senji and his team operated, a lot of criminals wanted to kill them. They teamed up with Ikazuchi Akatsuki as their leader and challenged Senji. Senji's team protected him and went to the challenge alone, leaving Senji behind. When Senji finally arrived, the entire team was murdered, with the exception of Domon. He called Senji over and gave him a lecture about depending on others. "If depending on others is a speciality of kids, then acting all cool is a speciality of adults." He died soon after that.
Some time after that, Senji was taken to Deadman Wonderland and addressed a tattooist to tattoo the first letters of his team-mates' names above his right eye (DSMK).
Senji's first seen in a dark room messing around with his Branch of sin. While in G-ward, Senji overhears a few people talking about a new Deadman called Woodpecker with an interesting power. This excites Senji as to find and challenge him to a battle. After Ganta made his way to G Ward, Senji appears, destroying the giant steel door and the Necro Macro security robot which had been chasing Ganta, Shiro and Yō. He surprises everyone with his inhuman ability to slice through steel door with ease. Senji welcomes Ganta saying that hes been waiting for him to fight. Due to his power, Ganta mistakes him for the "Red Man" and attempts to kill him with a pipe, where Senji counteracts with his Branch of Sin Crow Claw and shreds the pipe, leaving Ganta in a shock. After seeing Ganta's fear, he decides to leave him be for not knowing that he needs to use blood for his Branch of Sin. As Senji leaves, angered Ganta uses his Branch of Sin and attacks Senji head on. Senji tries to block it with his Crow Claws, but the bullet pierces through and strikes Senji in his chest internally wounding him, unknowingly. Senji introduces himself and commends Ganta on his performance, but declines that his the Red Man, saying that both of them can use the same ability. He explains to Ganta that Deadman are people who can control their blood outside their own body. He also adds that he's a stupid child thinking that his the only one "Special". After a small skirmish and an interruption by Shiro, Senji was subdued by the Deadman security. In the infirmary, Crow finds out that the next match line up is him vs Ganta. Before getting too excited, Rei warns him that he cannot battle because Ganta broke his sternum bone and two of his ribs, where Crow assaults Rei telling her to stay out of his fight.
The next day, while Crow is warming up, his chest starts hurting again, noting that he's pumped for the battle. When the battle starts, Ganta tries running away to a higher place where Senji's blades can't reach him. Ganta climbs a tree and starts shooting his blood bullets, but Senji manages to deflect all of them, with Ganta ending up getting anemia. While Ganta hallucinates, Senji extends his Crow Claw and slices up the tree. With Ganta unable to fight, Crow toys with him, by cutting him up little by little. When he decides to leave, Ganta grabs him by the leg and gets up saying that he will not lose by getting punched around. As Senji prepares to deliver the final blow, Ganta shoots the giant speaker, which hurls down onto Senji. Senji slices up the speaker not realizing that Ganta already came into point blank range, where he shoots him in the chest, defeating him, and leaving the crowd shocked. Despite Senji's experience and skill with his Branch of Sin, Ganta managed to win by trickery.
As a consequence for losing, Senji was forced to play the Penalty Game. His right eye was removed for research. He returns for a short time later during Ganta's next match, sporting an eyepatch and gives Ganta assistance with figuring out his opponent's techniques, as well as helping him understand his own capabilities. His change in personality toward Ganta is due to his respect for Ganta's strength. Senji comments that because Ganta beat him, he is not allowed to lose to anyone else until they have a rematch.
He later meets Ganta in the hallway, after his match with Minatsuki, telling Ganta to treat him to some ramen for winning. Senji complements him about his win against Hummingbird. Ganta feels sorry for his eye, to which Senji replies that it's "just another day at the office". He tells Ganta that he needs more variety in his attacks and mentions his Ganta Gun, a name he thought of himself. Ganta says that the name isn't cool enough. He wants something more like Aceman's attacks. Senji is surprised that Ganta knows Aceman, because that was an anime back in his childhood. Ganta tells him about how he and Shiro used to play Aceman. He tells Ganta that even though his victories were dumb, they were still victories and that winning Carnival Corpse matches can be both good and bad.
Scar Chain Arc
While Senji's boxing, Ganta approaches Senji, asking him about undertakers. Senji confirms that he knows about undertakers, but is shocked when Ganta mentions that they can neutralize their Branch of Sin, as well as furious at Ganta calling him stingy, because didnt call him for a battle. As Ganta continues with his story, he mentions that Nagi was there, which Ganta replies that Nagi has a score to settle with the undertakers. He tells Ganta about Nagi's past, how Tamaki tricked him and his wife to fight each other, but Nagi lost on purpose to protect his wife and in the penalty game lost his vocal cords. But Tamaki had broken his promise, saying that he doesnt allow rigged matches and killed Nagi's wife and his unborn child.
As Ganta and the remaining members of Scar Chain were attacked by Rokuro Bundō and several Undertakers, Ganta was about to be killed by Mōzuri Gazuchi. Senji appears just in time to kill the attackers, not realizing that he had already killed the stronger Undertakers there. Senji decides that the regular soldiers will do. He tries to slash an Undertaker and Rokuro Bundō, but soon finds out that it won't work. After listening to Rokuro boast about the Worm Eater's ability to negate Branches of Sin, Senji demonstrates his Invisible Black by chopping a soldier into bits, reasoning that the Worm Eater is ineffective against Branches of Sin with attacks that move at the speed of sound.Afterwards, Karako Koshio and the rest of Scar Chain plead Senji to join their cause. Senji declines, stating that the outside is no different and that only the strong survive. After the first Scar chain attempt to break out of Deadman Wonderland failed, Ganta comes to Senji, while he's training, and begs him to teach him how to use the supersonic Branch of Sin. Senji accepts, with letting Ganta know that if he wants to get stronger, he needs to kill his old self and start training. After a while, with Ganta exhausted and barely standing, Senji tells Ganta that if these were real fights he would have been dead 12 times already. To boosts his self confidence and determination, Senji crushes Ganta`s candy and leaves one hanging on the rope telling Ganta that if he shoots it down he will get it back, but Senji will block his attacks with his Invisible Black. After a small break, Ganta returns to train with Senji. He also finds Yo and Minatsuki, who help Ganta to better understand the supersonic speed. Senji insults Minatsuki that Ganta doesn't need any help from her. In response, Minatsuki flashes Senji where he faints. Back to training, Ganta's coming close to anemia again but still manages to shoot his small blood bullet causing it to go supersonic surprising Senji. He thanks Senji and leaves.
Senji meets Ganta in hallway seeing him depressed and weak, not wanting to go back to normal cause if he did that, he feels Nagi's death would be meaningless and that he doesn't want to live in a world where nothing changes. He's then scolded by Senji telling him to stop thinking like a kid, saying that owl's death has made a difference and that he should stop going in circles. The next day G-ward was opened, enabling Deadmen to go outside. Senji's seen lying on the grass relaxing to the feel of sunshine on his face. Later that day, Senji starts training Ganta to form his bullet faster, but Ganta starts feeling the side effects from his Ganbare Gun and asks Senji if he ever felt like that before, which Senji replies with a negative answer. He later see's Shiro, telling her to get out cause she's not a Deadman and starts to blush because of her suit. As they train, the TV turns itself on with a show about carnival corpse. Live on public TV, Tamaki explains to the whole Japan what are Deadmen and their powers and broadcast a live stream from the battle of two Deadmen, with one wearing a mask and possessing strange powers. The battle ends quickly, with the masked Deadman as a winner by inject the opponent with a poison from the Branch of Sin causing him to burst all over the arena. After the battle, Tamaki says to the public that they were protecting them from these type of monsters. Later Senji comments that the battle wasn't for sport, it was just for meaningless killing. After that Toto walks in. Intimidated by his powers, Senji tries to kill Toto saying to Ganta that is no match for him. He attacks Toto, who flips over Senji and grabs him from behind, licking Senji's blood. He then tries to lick Ganta's but is stopped by Shiro. Toto then reveals to them that the masked Deadman was a forgery, a human made into a Deadman by Tamaki for "humanities sake". That evening the Deadmen throw a party for Toto's return, when Senji gets drunk and starts picking fights with random Deadmen.
Later that night, Senji wakes up intoxicated from all day drinking in his room and finds a mask on his bed. In it was a description about Senji's past saying: "Crow Claw and his Branch of Sin, the Branch of Sin that killed four friends." Enraged, Senji goes to the Carnival Corpse's sector with the rest of the Deadmen who got the masks as well. Senji starts to battle and gets hit on
the left calf. As the poison starts to spread, Minatsuki tears of the infected area from Senji's leg with her Branch of Sin. As Ganta fights alongside him and the other Deadman, he knocks of one of the Forgeries masks, revealing it to be Azami, Ganta's close friend he met in prison. Ganta, petrified is about to be killed by Azami but is saved by Toto in the last moment using Senji's Crow Claws, which he had copied earlier using his Branch of Sin, Love Labyrinth. The Deadman manage to defeat and pulverize the forgeries with only two remaining, with one of them being Azami. As they prepare for their final attack, Ganta tries to stop them from killing her and accidentally uses his Ganbare Gun, destroying the entire arena, ending the broadcast and injuring his comrades.
After 3 days, Ganta goes to see Senji in the gym to ask for his forgiveness, trying to explain to him he was only defending his friend. Senji rejects his apology, telling Ganta that what the Forgeries did is unforgivable. He then tells Ganta to disappear before he expels his anger on him. Shiro later comes to see Senji searching for Ganta. Senji tells her that Ganta left to find Azami and save her and while he thinks it's nonsense to try and save a Forgery, Shiro believes that Ganta has every right because she is his friend.
Senji, along with other Deadman, hear that someone spotted a Forgery all alone and they take this opportunity to take revenge on her. When they found Azami, they started beating her, but Senji stopped asking is she really a Forgery. Azami tells them that Ganta saved her, but was captured instead. She asks them to help her rescue Ganta by giving them a map, which was given to Ganta by Makina. Others start to suspect it's a trap, as Shiroshows up and goes with Azami to save Ganta. As they try to leave, they're stopped by other wanting them for Azami to explain the mystery behind the masks which they've recived. They soon learn that this was Tamaki's plan to get the Deadman pumped up for the Livestream battle against Forgeries. Shiro then tells everyone that Ganta had nothing to do with all of this, where Minatsuki attacks her, saying that she won't have someone opening her old wounds. Shiro gets up and scolds other Deadman. She tells them that they're weaker then Ganta, cause unlike them he doesn't try to forget his past and doesn't go around blaming it on somebody else. They reply by telling her Ganta had betrayed them, to which
Shiro replies that it's alright if they hate Ganta, cause she will just have to like Ganta more to make up for them. She then leaves with Azami to go find and rescue Ganta.
After Senji couldn't let go what Shiro said, he and the other Deadman go to rescue Ganta, passing along knocked out guards on the way. They arrive just in time to stop the Complete Forgeries who are trying to prevent Ganta from destroying the main control over the Forgeries. As Ganta wonders why are they helping him, he realizes that they still consider him his friend, despite them being angry at him. After Ganta leaves, the Complete Forgeries try to stop them, the Deadman intercept each one to take them out individualy.
Senji intercepts Ikazuchi Akatsuki. As they fight, Akatsuki is honored to fight the famous Crow. Senji tells him that his world is about to be ended by him, at which point introduces himself to Akatsuki. Akatsuki then remembers him being the police officer who faught againsts the local gangs after the earthquake as well as killing his SenseiDomon and his police crew for refusing to stay out of the gangs way. As the battle unfolds, Akatsuki uses his Branch of Sin Rari Ranshin on him to enhance his muscles. He uses his superhuman strength to bring down a wall and crush Senji, but fails. Enraged, Senji starts attacking him, but Akatsuki quite easly overpowers Senji even dodging his fast attacks and crushing his Crow Claws with his bare hands. As he grabs Senji, he counter attacks with a headbutt, but Akatsuki counters with a mid air kick, sending Senji flying. He then uses Kōkasha, doping his shoulders to body-check Senji. Senji quickly gets back on his feet and uses his Invisible Black to try and split Akatsuki in half, but his blade brakes in half because of Akatsuki's doped tendons. He then uses his Asōgi, doping his legs to jump high and brings down the entire ceiling on Senji. Halfway dead, Senji recalls his past again with Domon's last moments beside him. As he gets up he remembers his last words, that being relied upon is a great feeling and if depending on someone is childish, then it's his responsibility to act cool. He's approached by Akatsuki, telling Senji that he can either kill him, or he can die of anemia. Senji then slices his chest with his Crow Claws to pull out his remaining blood to form a giant Crow Claw, covering his entire right hand. Akatsuki uses his Nayuta, increasing the size of his body and clashes with Senji one final time. Senji collapses from the lack of blood, right after Akatsuki is split in half and dies, as Senji comments that his choice has always been the same as he passes out.
After the battle, Senji and the other Deadman are seen being treated in the ambulance. They discussed about what happened between Ganta and the Wretched Egg. The truth about Deadman Wonderland was discovered by the government and was shutdown. The prisoners were transferred to other prisons and a few of them, including Senji were released since they did not commit any crimes to begin with and all of his confiscated stuff was returned to him, including his special coin that was left to him by his Sensei Domon.
Return to Deadman Wonderland ArcAfter a while, everybody tried to return to their normal lives, including Senji, who was trying to get a job at a corporation, but fails at his interview because of his insecurity. He then leaves angered saying that it's too late for him to get a decent job. After a while he gets an invite from Karako to come to a meeting involving the Wretched Egg. Once there Makina, Karako and few others thank the ones who came and explains the situation. There they learn that Toto is actually Hagire Rinichirō, the man who created the Wretched Egg, which was the cause of the great Tokyo earthquake that also scattered the red crystals that made their way into the bodies of random people that are now known as Deadmen. Finally, they ask the ones who came to join them in their final battle against the Wretched Egg and Hagire.
The next day at the harbor, few of the Deadmen show up, including Senji with Ganta running late. There, Senji met a girl named Mitsuzaki Yosuga, a formerly imprisoned in Deadman Wonderland for her powers who seems to know Toto before he was taken over by Hagire. Karako notes that it's getting late and that they cannot wait any longer, not even Ganta. Senji takes his coin and flips it, saying if it's heads they wait. As the coin fell on the heads side, Ganta appeared in the last second, apologising for being late. They set off in their submarine, the Walfisch. As they enter the sub, they're shocked to by its size and configurations. Makina gives them a piece of paper saying to write their last will, incase they don't come back. Ganta declains, saying that he didn't came to die and tears the piece of paper. Senji then agrees with Ganta. As they pull into the harbor of the Deadman Wonderland island and start to dock, Ganta is greeted by Shiro who is actually the Wretched Egg, her other personality. Senji and the other wonder when did she come as they didn't see her in the submarine. Angered, Ganta shouts at Shiro asking her why of all people did she have to be the Wretched Egg, shocking the entire crew. Shiro then uses her Branch of Sin to pull out the entire submarine out of the sea on the land with ease, leaving everybody speechless. As Ganta asks what happened to her, Shiro replies that "Shiro" is crying inside her bird cage while pointing at her head, where everybody figures out that she has split personalities. Ganta then uses his Branch of Sin to fire multiple Ganta Gun shots and her knocking her out and heavily injuring her, as Senji and the others watch from the side. Thinking he had killed her, Ganta cries out of remorse and sorrow, as she gets back up on her feet displaying her regenerative powers. She then comments that today's game was not fun and that she still waits for the conclusion of the song. She then flies away, leaving Senji and the others confused and terrified of her powers.saying that he can worry all he wants cause nobody's gonna die, as Ganta opens his hand and sees that the coin landed on heads, feeling relieved. As they're about to leave, Hagire appears and knocks out Yosuga and continues on to capture Ganta. Senji tries to counteract, but is easily overpowered by Hagire, wielding multiple Branches of Sin. Senji is badly injured and is almost killed before Ganta agrees to go with Hagire to save Senji's life. Right before they leave, Hagire reveals to them that Ganta is the actual "key" to the Mother Goose System.
When Senji wakes up, Yosuga comes over to see if hes ok. He comments to Yosuga that he is "a little bit dying", but still persists in going after Ganta to save him. He asks her, if she has any cigarettes, but declines saying he can't smoke. He sends Yosuga to go back to the submarine and says he will carry the chorus block after he rests up a little bit longer. After Yosuga leaves, Senji gets up, angered that Ganta sacrificed himself to protect him, and goes of to save him. Right when Hagire is about to take control over Ganta's body, Senji appears. The twins try to stop him but are sent flying with a single hit. As Senji intercepts his transfer and tries to free Ganta, Hagire interferes and tries to kill him, saying that Ganta will die for his sake. He retries to kill Senji with the same tactic but Senji easily overpowers him. While Hagire tries to evade his attacks Senji tricks him by extending his Crow Claw and brakes the container holding Ganta. He tells Ganta to run while he holds of Hagire. Unwillingly, Ganta says that he cannot just run away and leave him. Senji asks him for once to let him be cool. As he leaves the twins try and follow him, but Senji blocks the path with his Crow Claw barrier leaving them to battle alone. Hagire strikes back with Senji's Crow Claws as Senji blocks it. He forms a Crow Claw on his leg and is about to impale Hagire when the twins shoot his blades and use their Hollow Swallow: Dance Macabre to synchronize their moves with each other. As they battle, it appears that they have the upper hand, but right before they shoot Senji, he jumps into the air and cuts them down, saying that their moves are too predictable. After he finishes with them, Hagire tries to catch up with Ganta but is, yet again, stopped by Senji. Hagire uses his blood to create an unknown Branch of Sin, which forms feathered wings on his back and strikes down Senji with them, shooting shard-like feathers at him. Hagire starts to gloat and questions why Senji bothers to risk his own life for Ganta so much. After remembering how much concern Ganta has shown for him all during their time at Deadman Wonderland, despite his weaknesses, Senji replies that it's because Ganta's "such an incredibly honest kid". Senji manages to get up and use his newly improved Crow Claws to nearly attack Hagire, only to have Chan and En block the attack. Hagire smiles and attacks Senji, shredding the twins and his right arm. Hagire prepares to finally kill Senji, only to have his arm shot with Ganta's blood bullet, preventing him from fatally injuring Senji any further. Ganta and Senji then proceed to use a joint attack to defeat Hagire. Hagire attacks Ganta with multiple Branches of Sin as Ganta counterattacks with his Supersonic Ganta Gun and prepares to finish him of with Ganbare Gun but stops due to his chest pain. Hagire uses this opportunity to bash him and throws him through wall, hanging by a thread. As his about to strike him down, Senji creates Crow Claws on his feet to use them as climbing hooks by walking up-wall, saving Ganta. Hagire quickly comes after them, as Senji slices the poll holding the Giant Deadman Wonderland sign as it drops on him. Hagire mocks Senji as he shreds the sign, remembering he saw this strategy during Senji's first battle with Ganta at the carnival corpse. Ganta appears in front of Hagire and shoot Ganbare Gun directly, sending him flying in front of Senji as he slices off two of Hagire's right limbs as well as hitting the pole that held the tower together, causing half of it to crash right onto him. Afterwards, Senji and Ganta are taken to the infirmary and his injuries are tended to by Karako Koshio. Minatsuki mentions that Senji's will to live is abnormally high, and he is later seen to have survived. After Senji's recovery, Ganta tries to apologize for the loss of his arm. He declines his apology saying that there's no need, as well as admiring his own resemblance to the fictional samurai Tange Sazen, who just like Senji lost his right arm and eye. Later, Ganta gathers up the crew and explains to them that his Ganbare Gun's the key to either unlocking or sealing Shiro's true powers. He then promises to everyone that he will be the one to stop her.
Due to his inability to battle, Senji stayed inside the submarine and watched the battle unfold between the Deadmen and Hagire. When Hagire was killed by Ganta, Shiro used this opportunity to destroy the Mother Goose System and regain her true powers, which she quickly displays by destroying half of the island. As the building they were in starts to collapse on them, Senji and the others resurface to take the Deadmen back and escape. He sees Ganta's determination to save Shiro and gives him his coin for good luck, when Ganta realizes that it's a one sided coin. When Hitara notices that Ganta's gone, he starts questioning Senji as to why he let him leave. Senji replies that Ganta isn't a kid anymore and that he has to do what he believes is right. Senji is later seen watching the explosion alongside Hitara and Karako that was caused by the shattering of Ganta and Shiro's crystals.
After a small timeskip, Senji is seen with an unnamed Deadman practicing mountain climbing. When he slips, he tries to use his Branch of Sin to hold on, but it fails and is assisted by the other Deadman. He taunts Senji for not using his Branch of Sin and asks him if he just wants to forget he uses it. Senji declines, saying nothing has changed. At that moment he remembers Ganta and wonders if anything could be out of Ganta's reach.
- : In order to draw blood, Senji is equipped with special rings that have rotating blades on them. He wears them on both of this thumbs to cut his forearms. After he lost half of his right arm, he stopped wearing them.
- Coin: He has a one sided coin with a Salamander on both sides that was left to him by his Sensei Domon. This particular item is very special to him, since its from his deceased mentor. Senji used it to boost Ganta's confidence and win bets by constantly calling heads for him, knowing that the coin is one sided. He later gave it to Ganta.
Throughout the series, Senji has displayed numerous amount of abilities.
Enhanced Endurance and Strength: Throughout the series, Senji has displayed high level of endurance, being able to withstand eye removal, the breaking of his sternum, a number of cuts, stabs, bruises, gunshots, anemia and being hit by numerous Branches of Sin as well as surviving being crushed by the entire ceiling and the shredding of his right arm. On smaller occasions he has displayed enhanced strength, such as in his battle with Ikazuchi Akatsuki, being able to push him back and injure him despite his constant doping and enhanced strength.
Precise Accuracy and Aiming: One of his highly recognized abilities is his accuracy. He can measure the distance between him and his opponent or an object just by looking at him/her/it. He possesses precise aiming, enabling him to hit dead center every time, even if the target is moving. He can also follow his opponent's moves and knows how to counterattack with ease if they reuse the same pattern of attack. On top of all this, he has a fast reaction time, being able to dodge incoming projectiles, including bullets. Despite losing his right eye, his abilities remained the same.
Enhanced Speed: Senji has displayed inhuman speed in more than one occasion. Despite being struck down when he is attacked directly, he's able to surprise any enemy with his inhuman speed and cut them down without them even realizing it. Thanks to his speed, Senji is able to function perfectly in sync with his Branch of Sin, being able to slice through steel with ease. This also helped Senji develop his Invisible Black.
Branch of Sin: As a Deadman, Senji has the ability to freely control his blood out of his body. He has specially-made rings with serrated blades in it to slice open his forearms to force the blood out. After the battle with Hagire and loosing half of his right arm, he removed them.
- (クロウ・クロウ, Kurō Kurō): Senji can manifest his blood into a scythe-like blade or blades which he calls Crow Claw. The blades can be inverted, outverted or sometimes straight with a hook at the end that resembles a hook sword. The straight blades are usually created from the top of his hand. He can create the blades on any part of his body, usually on his forearms. He can shape the blade into straight or curvy blade. The basic use of this ability is to slice or cut down something or someone. Over the years while he was at the Deadman Wonderland prison, Senji has trained and perfected his powers that are now strong enough to slice through solid steel door. He can use them to guard as well, by crossing them together to stop a direct attack or an incoming projectile. While the blades are typically two to three feet long, Senji can shape the blades in a netting-pattern, in order to greatly lengthen them allowing him to attack people at long range, without using more blood. Unlike most of Deadmen that posses close range Branches of Sin, hes one of the few who can use his at a long range. One of the advantages his power provides him with is that he can restore his already used blood into his arteries, but only as long as it's still attached to him. Depending on the situation, Senji intends to get creative to evade or defeat his opponents with his Branch of Sin, such as positioning multiple small Crow Claws at the soles of his feet. This way, he can climb up buildings by using his Branch of Sin as climbing hooks. He can use more blood to create one giant blade strong enough to cut a whole room in half. He used this particular blade to bifurcate Ikazuchi Akatsuki when he was empowered by his Branch of Sin, which was impossible to do with his normal attacks. While his normal blades are used for cutting, this one is used more for strength and power. Tho hes only been seen once using this technique, particularity because of the huge amount of blood that is needed to form this giant blade, resulting in anemia, as well as it's weight as its shown that Senji had a hard time wielding it, barely managing to pull out one swing. He can also create a barrier with his Crow Claw. He does this by creating multiple blades, mostly from his hands and forearms, in a formation that somewhat covers an entrance or exit. He can also shape the blades in a netting-pattern to extend it's reach and create a bigger blockade. After Senji's right arm was shredded to pieces by Hagire Rinichiro, he was barely able to fight him of. Despite loosing half of his right arm, Senji can still create an outverted blade from the remaining part of the arm. The blade functions still the same but enables Senji to swing a lot faster and at greater length. Branch of Sin: Crow Claw
- Invisible Black (空虚閃, Inbijiburu Burakku, Japanese for "Empty Hollow Flash): This is a cutting technique that Senji uses to create a large scythe-like blade at the top of his right hand, instead of his usual forearms. He uses one hand to tear the veins on top of his other and draws his blade in less then a second to perform this technique. When Senji draws the blade to its limit, he detaches the blade from his hand and forms a hook at the end of it. He then slices the target to pieces at the speed of sound, or just as the name suggests, "in a flash". While the top of the blade is still attached to his other hand, Senji can use it to guard against incoming projectiles, such as Ganta's blood bullets. He can use the blade to attack in both directions, vertical and horizontal. The faster he draws the blade, the more damage it deals. The blade has a small difference in its appearance, but mostly at the edge of the blade. The length of the blade differs as well. Instead of its usual length, Invisible black is at least half the length of Senji's body. It is unknown if Senji could still perform Invisible Black due to him missing his right arm, though it's highly unlikely.
- Branch of Sin: Evolved Crow Claw: Because of his strong will to live, Senji has developed the ability to evolve his Crow Claw. The blades appear inverted on the front and back of his palms instead of his forearms as well being bigger and longer. With the Crow Claw in its evolved state, black markings appear on his body, just like with Ganta's Ganbare Gun. The two markings are different from each other. While Ganta has straight patters on his right arm up to his right side of the face, Senji's appear in a type of curly lines that divaricate along the way from both of his arms up to his left side of the face. It appears that it is more powerful in it's evolved state, being able to pierce Chan and En with ease. It is unknown if Senji has any other special abilities in this state. It is also unknown if it damages his body or puts any kind of strain on him like Ganta's Ganbare Gun. He could have subconsciously used his ability without even knowing as it doesn't appear he knows he performed it and the fact that he didn't name it like he usually does. Despite loosing parts of his right arm, it's still possible for him to use this ability with his left arm and unlike Ganta he can manifest the blades on any part of his body.
Anime and Manga Differences
- After Ganta`s battle with Minatsuki, in Anime, Senji appears in the hallway and the conversation takes place there without Senji warning him about his winnings, but in the Manga Ganta meets Senji in the hallway and treats him to ramen for his victory. The rest of the conversation takes place in the restaurant.
- In the Manga, Ganta left after the conversation had ended. In Anime the conversation, which took place in a hallway, was disrupted by Minatsuki screaming when Yō accidentally saw her partially naked. Enraged, Minatsuki throws a flower pot at him but accidentally hits Senji, who was curiously passing with Ganta, and gets a nosebleed for seeing her naked.
- In the Manga, while Senji was training Ganta to use the Supersonic Branch of Sin, Yō and Minatsuki appear and give Ganta advice on how Supersonic speed works, when Senji steps in refusing to accept any help from Minatsuki after trying to kill Ganta in the Carnival Corpse. Minatsuki replies by flashing her underwear, giving Senji a nosebleed and leaving him unconscious. In Anime, this never happens, meaning Ganta never tried to compress his bullets to achieve Supersonic speed, learning it by accident. At the end in both versions, Ganta achieves Supersonic speed by shooting a small bullet because of the lack of blood.
- While Senji was training Ganta on how to convert his bullets into supersonic, in the Anime he met up with Toto Sakigami. In the Manga, this didn't happen until Ganta and Senji saw Tamaki's live broadcast. The story after that is exactly the same accept Toto was stopped by Shiro from licking Ganta's blood in the Manga. In Anime, Shiro was not present and Toto was stopped by Senji, saying that Ganta needs to conserve his blood for his training. Because the Forgeries were still not introduced at that time, there was no talk about them, instead Toto just leaves.
- Senji had the honor of naming Ganta's Branch of Sin the Ganta Gun. He also took it upon himself to name Ganta's more improved Branch of Sin the Ganbaru Gun; it is spelled similar to Ganta's name and it could translate to "Do Your Best Gun".
- Along with Ganta's Ganta Gun, Senji's Crow Claw is one of the only two Branches of Sin known to have evolved over time.
- In the English dub, Senji's Branch of Sin can literally be translated to "Black Black". It is also the Japanese pronunciation of the English word, "Crow".
- Senji's the only character in the series to have a catchphrase, Zuppashi (ズッパシ). Though his catchphrase changes throughout the different translations. One translation was 'Slice', which makes sense considering Senji's Branch of Sin and his enthusiasm using it.
- Zuppashi (ズッパシ) is a made up word that has no meaning.
- Senji's the fastest Deadman in the series.
- Senji, along with Makina, makes corny names for different stuff, like Ganta's Ganta Gun and operation Mother-Gizmo Reinforcement, for not knowing how it works and Makina with her Operation Ende Fist, for finishing the operation with punching Tamaki.
- Despite his knack for naming things, his Evolved Crow Claw has no name, quite possibly because he used this ability subconsciously.
- It is unknown if Senji killed anyone before the start of the series, but it's highly unlikely because of his Sensei Domon and that he had different character back then.
- Shinagawa Dōkoku and Mōzuri Gazuchi were Senji's first kill in the series and the first major villains to be killed.
- Keigo Ugachi is the only antagonist who lost to Senji that wasn't killed.