Blaze the Cat (ブレイズ・ザ・キャット Bureizu za Kyatto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She is an anthropomorphic, lavender cat and is a princess hailing from an alternate dimension, where she is both the regent of her world and the appointed guardian of the Sol Emeralds, a role similar to that of Sonic and Knuckles combined. She is gifted with the power of pyrokinesis, which lets her create and manipulate fire in any way she pleases.
Blaze is normally calm, elegant and level-headed, but tends to conceal her true feelings. Devoted to her position, she sometimes gets herself bogged down by her own self-imposed strict discipline, which made her anti-social, withdrawn, and initially unfamiliar to the concept of having friends. After spending time with Sonic, however, Blaze was able to discover the true meaning of friendship, allowing her to accomplish tasks for the good of her people and the innocent which she could never do alone.
Concept and Creation
Blaze was designed as a character who was equivalent yet an alternate version of Sonic's character. An undated concept of Blaze which was very similar to her final design except her eyes were rounder and her ponytail was turned front instead of back, she was supposed to wear clothing similar to the Arabs, since she was wearing a shalwar and a mid-riff top.
According to the early character spread sheet files of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) it is mentioned that Blaze wears a cape to hide her flames because she was teased. However this "cape" concept has not been shown clearly in games whether her purple outfit is the cape. This was later clarified by the concept artwork gallery in the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations where one of the pictures showed Blaze wearing a white and pink laced cape. One of the Sonic Channel 2013 2-D images shows her wearing a purple cape.
An ex-member of SEGA on Sonic Wrecks released concept art of Blaze which was said to be done in early 2005 in PowerPoint documents. Her design was very similar to that of Shadow's however it is possible the character was in a mere silhouette form.
Blaze is normally calm, solemn and level-headed, but tends to conceal her true feelings. She is often described as elegant, which is demonstrated through her body movements and her ballerina-like fighting style. Being royalty, Blaze is quite mannerly and typically maintains a relatively quiet, stoic and formal air among others. She tends to have body language less casual than most others, such as in Sonic Generations where she stands straight and tight rather than relaxed like the rest of the cast. She also usually speaks in a polite and lady-like tone. Despite being honored of her royalty though, Blaze is down-to-Earth and dislikes being called by her title.
While Blaze gives the impression that she keeps her emotions in check, she is inwardly highly emotional and possesses a fiery temper, and when she loses her composure she is quite frightening, aggressive, harsh and prone to bad decisions. She is very serious and devoted to her position as princess and guardian of the Sol Emeralds, even initially suspecting anyone even looking at the Emeralds the wrong way, which is motivated by her own genuine concern for others' safety. She is usually highly disciplined and focused, never allowing herself to not lose focus, and can be quite stubborn and impatient once she has put her mind to something. When dealing with enemies, she never holds back her strength and is not above the idea of using lethal force. Because of her own self-imposed strict discipline though, she is often tense and frequently suffers from great self-pressure.
Initially, Blaze held a personal dislike of her pyrokinesis because it left her to bear her responsibilities alone, which made her see her flames as a curse. She later learns to accept her powers from Sonic's advice and came to see them as a blessing.
Because of her past and her devotion to her duty, Blaze developed a habit of doing her tasks alone which led her to build up walls between her and other people, making her anti-social, withdrawn and introverted. As a result, she ended up building up her own secret feelings, leaving her with an inner turmoil. She therefore lacks in social skills, finds it hard to open up and talk to people, and comes off as shy. She would also be wary and curt towards strangers and frequently reject offers to help, even become defensive and angry when help was offered. This attitude also made her somewhat selfish as she berate Sonic despite him offering help and eventually ended up fighting him.
After interacting with Sonic, Cream and their friends, Blaze developed much more socially, making her more amiable, friendly and gentle towards others. She also came to understand the true meaning of friendship, making her willing to trust and accept help from others. While she still prefers handling things on her own and remains somewhat reclusive, she will accept her friends' help and is genuine grateful for their aid. At the time of Sonic Generations, she is seemingly much more sociable, participating in a party simply for the sake of friendship and is much quicker to open up and relax in front of her friends.
Blaze is very honest and almost blunt when dealing with annoyances such as Marine, even outright telling her that she is a nuisance. She also had a tendency of judging others poorly in Sonic Rush, making her somewhat overconfident and arrogant.
Blaze suffers from acrophobia and just the sight of heights makes her terrified, nervous and uncomfortable as seen in Sky Babylon. However, she is not much for admitting her fear and will try to hide it.
Blaze was born in Gurnee, Illinois, United States, on September 22, 1998. She was the third of the five children of Gerald and Sally Kojo. She got along with her family very well.
One day, in 2005, Blaze was recruited to be in a Sonic the Hedgehog game known as "Sonic Rush". Blaze was confused. When she arrived at the location she was told to go to, the manager (at that time) greeted Blaze, and showed her to her workplace. There, she met Sonic the Hedgehog himself, and they began a healthy friendship. She also met some of Sonic's friends and befriended some of them.
Seven years later, in the Summer of 2012, an 11-year old Connor Banjoper found out about Blaze, and he started getting interested into her. On Christmas Day, 2012, Connor Banjoper quickly became Blaze's first real boyfriend. Blaze also met Colette the Mouse, who became her best friend that same day.
Blaze spent a lot of time with both Connor Banjoper and Colette the Mouse in the Summer of 2013.
In the Summer of 2014, Connor Banjoper decided to remove Blaze from the Sonic franchise, and she agreed to leave the Sonic franchise. Blaze's relation with most of her Sonic franchise friends started to slowly fade away after that. On December 20, 2014, Connor Banjoper synthesized Blaze's firstborn daughter, Annika.
Connor Banjoper synthesized four more children in 2015 (in order of age: Marzo & Vasco, Florentina, and Fresa).
In June 2016, Connor Banjoper conceived the idea to make Blaze's own independent franchise. So, he designed a bunch of characters to be her new friends in this franchise. The characters in question are: Lapis the Vulture, Lunar the Chipmunk, Gloomy the Cat, Bronze the Cat, Orris the Fox, Rust the Alligator, Grigio the Lizard, Calla the Butterfly, Strawberry the Fox, and Chocolate the Rabbit. After Connor Banjoper introduced Blaze to these characters, they all became friends and agreed to begin the Blaze the Cat franchise and promote Blaze's independence from SEGA.
Blaze's relationship with Connor Banjoper lasted well into 2017. During that year, Connor Banjoper synthesized the last three of Blaze's children (Glanville, Nic, and Aynabat). Then, in October 2017, Connor Banjoper's parents decided that it was time for him and Blaze to break up. So, on October 24, 2017, they forced Connor Banjoper to break up with Blaze. It was difficult for both of them.
However, despite no longer having a relationship, their plans for the Blaze the Cat franchise remained intact.
In 2019, SEGA announced that they were going to put Blaze in a Sonic game called "Team Sonic Racing". Blaze did not approve of this because she wanted to start her own franchise with the characters Connor Banjoper introduced to her. Blaze decided to stop SEGA from putting her in "Team Sonic Racing". However, SEGA felt differently, and ignored Blaze's objections. Blaze was angry with SEGA and threatened to file a lawsuit if they didn't remove her from "Team Sonic Racing".
On Thanksgiving Day, 2020, Blaze married Lester Plesko, who she met in the Summer of 2019.
Blaze and her friends (Colette the Mouse and the 2016-introduced Blaze Characters) went to compete in the Tokyo 2021 Olympic Games - which would've been held in 2020, had it not been for the COVID-19 pandemic that year. Sonic and the other Sonic Characters were not happy that Blaze betrayed Team Sonic to represent their town. Blaze and her friends did much better than Sonic and his friends throughout the entire Olympiad. On the evening of the second-to-last day of the Olympics, Team Blaze and Team Sonic got into an argument that was originally about Espio accidentally injuring Bronze in the soccer match, but then escalated to the way Blaze and her friends had behaved towards Sonic and his friends. At the end of the argument, Blaze and Sonic agreed to terminate their friendship and be bitter enemies for the rest of their lives. At the end of the Olympiad, the manager of SEGA decided that he had no choice but to terminate Blaze's position in the Sonic franchise (and SEGA altogether). This allowed a female wolf named Wildfire to replace Blaze in "Team Sonic Racing" and every Sonic game after the Tokyo Olympics.
After the Tokyo 2021 Olympic Games, the Blaze Characters proceeded to start making their own media, including many videogames, a TV show, many movies, and even some comic books. Blaze and her friends have been enjoying their lives in Barhamsville ever since.
- "Let's Blaze!"
- "Excuse me.
[MALE CHARACTER OUTSIDE THE BLAZE THE CAT FRANCHISE]and I are not a couple, and I would appreciate it if you'd stop shipping me with him. Thank you." - Blaze, whenever someone ships her with someone she does not love.
- "I told you all I was quitting the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise after the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympics. I thought being absent in 'Sonic Forces' made it pretty obvious." - Blaze's response to Sonic calling her out for lying to Team Sonic about being unable to participate in the Tokyo 2021 Olympic Games.
- "I am honored to receive such a magnificent prize on behalf of my team and the nation I represent. You have no idea how exciting this is for me." - Blaze after winning her very first Olympic gold medal in the Tokyo 2021 Olympics.
- "Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who loves me and supports me in this whole Olympic thing. Secondly, I would like to say.... In your face, Sonic! I kicked your sorry butt at this event!" - What Blaze says to her viewers during the aforementioned event.
- "Well, I do have a good explanation. In 2016, after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, I decided that I was going to quit the Sonic franchise and start my own, with these guys." - Blaze explaining to the manager of SEGA why she left Team Sonic.
- "Well, you know what? I don't care what the rules and regulations of SEGA say. I'm going to go on a permanent strike against you all, and I'm going to get that franchise!" - Blaze's response to the manager of SEGA telling her that she cannot break away from the Sonic franchise.
- "By the power of best friendship, we summon the extraordinary might of the Great Blazette!" - Blaze and Colette transforming into the Great Blazette.
- "I think someone was trying to sabotage Grigio in the surfing event, and I think I know just who." - Blaze figuring out that Team Sonic sabotaged Grigio's surfboard during the Tokyo 2021 Olympic surfing event.
- "I guess this means that Sonic and his crappy friends aren't going to be able to win any of this year's Olympic events at all." - Blaze conversating with Colette in the hotel showers after the aforementioned surfing event.
- "Don't worry, Bronze. It's gonna be okay." - Blaze comforting Bronze after Espio the Chameleon accidentally kicks him in the crotch with the soccer ball in the Tokyo 2021 Olympic soccer championship.
- "What were you thinking, man?!? You could have killed Bronze by crushing his nuts with a soccer ball!" - Blaze scolding Espio for the incident mentioned above.
- "You Sonic Characters can defriend me all you want, but I'm not gonna be hurt by it because I'm starting my own franchise, and it will be perfect just the way it is." - Blaze officially quitting from SEGA and the Sonic franchise..
- Blaze has multiple careers, including an actress, a videogame protagonist, a singer/rapper, an executive at Silent Raccoon Entertainment, and a YouTuber.
- Blaze likes to use the word "belly", but she cannot stand the word "stomach". (She was traumatized as a child when she saw a picture of the stomach (inside the body).)
- Blaze has been best friends with Colette the Mouse since they met each other on Christmas Day, 2012. They are inseparable, and love each other to the maximum point (and beyond).
- Surprisingly, Blaze was not a victim of Galeem's attack in the beginning of "Super Smash Brothers Ultimate".
~ - She was in the Banjoper Universe when it happened.
~ - Despite this, she is still a spirit in that game.
- Aside from the Royal Chariot in "Team Sonic Racing", Blaze the Cat drives a 2017 Ford GT.
- Blaze is very much in love with Lester Plesko, and does not like it when people ship her with characters outside the Blaze the Cat franchise. (This includes Sonic the Hedgehog characters.)
- Blaze will get extremely furious if someone causes harm to her external abdomen, and she will pulverize anyone who dares to do so.
- Blaze's favorite song is most likely "Party In The USA!" by Miley Cyrus.
- Blaze is cousins with Jessica from the Bremen Avenue Experience.